By Robert Carlson
The sequence builds an intensive number of prime quality descriptions of languages all over the world. every one quantity deals a accomplished grammatical description of a unmarried language including totally analyzed pattern texts and, if acceptable, a glossary and different appropriate info that is to be had at the language in query. There aren't any regulations as to language relatives or quarter, and even if particular consciousness is paid to hitherto undescribed languages, new and worthwhile remedies of higher recognized languages also are integrated. No theoretical version is imposed at the authors; the one criterion is a excessive average of medical caliber.
Read or Download A Grammar of Supyire PDF
Similar criticism & theory books
Passions of the signal strains the impression of the French Revolution on Enlightenment idea in Germany as evidenced within the paintings of 3 significant figures round the flip of the 19th century: Immanuel Kant, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, and Heinrich von Kleist. Andreas Gailus examines a mostly neglected strand within the philosophical and literary reception of the French Revolution, one that reveals within the ancient incidence of revolution the expression of a basic mechanism of political, conceptual, and aesthetic perform.
E-book by means of Eysturoy, Annie O.
During this research the writer argues that the narrative and representational facets of Steven's poetry has been overlooked in favour of readings that rigidity his be aware play and rhetoricity. Stressing the poet's familiarity with glossy portray, this publication indicates how Steven's notion of illustration is deeply encouraged via such figures as Picasso and Duchamp.
- Writing Cogito: Montaigne, Descartes, and the Institution of the Modern Subject (S U N Y Series, Margins of Literature) (Suny Series, the Margins of Literature)
- James Joyce and the Revolution of the Word: Second Edition
- Secret of the Knights (Time Machine, No. 1)
- The Exquisite Corpse: Chance and Collaboration in Surrealism's Parlor Game (Texts and Contexts)
- Forget Baudrillard?
- Studying Poetry
Extra resources for A Grammar of Supyire
8. ä] In all these cases, nasalization is written (with an ή) only on the first syllable where it occurs. 3. Tone Tone has a high functional load in Supyire. Boys cowherding in the bush often communicate with each other by whistling. The whistling contains no other information than vowel length and pitch, but this is sufficient to permit fairly detailed conversations. In learning to speak Supyire I often had the experience of an interlocutor interpreting my speech on the basis of my (incorrect) tones, assuming that I had mistaken the consonants and vowels, which were in fact much closer to what they were supposed to be than the tones.
Compare cere 'calabash' and ceer6 'little calabash'; fljire 'tongue' and ßjiirä 'little tongue'. 2. below) usually elides following a pronoun. g. u //become u ύ. In addition to these sporadic elisions, there is one morphological process which results in the systematic loss of intervocalic /d/. The gender 4 noun suffix is -rV (/dV/). e. e. not /i/ or /u/), the definite is formed by adding the definite suffix -te to a stem consisting of the noun root plus the indefinite suffix -rV. The consonant of the indefinite suffix then elides (and the Iii of the definite suffix is voiced and flapped).
Frequently nothing much happens in these encounters, both vowels receiving approximately their ordinary pronunciations. But when stressed IM precedes /a/, both vowels are drawn to each other to produce [ee], as in the following examples. Note that this change is not written in the orthography. (54) Mpi ä jwo... hare PERF say... ' [ηιρβέ] U jiye ä si ä? 3. Neutralization Secondary release induces some variation in certain following vowels. The contrast between Id and /a/ is neutralized after secondary release, though there is some variation in the behavior of individual roots and speakers.